May 25, 2007

MY CONFESSION


As I have moved from place to place in recent years, I have had the exciting privilege of being queried by the new people I meet and the new churches I have attended as to what I believe. Often times when my personal understanding of the bible did not exactly line up with what they believed and taught I was taken to task, and even accused of believing heresy. The charge of heresy is strong and often when challenged those making the charge have backed down. But It happened and I wonder if maybe I am just not very skilled in explaining what I believe.

For the most part, my understanding of the bible lines up very very very closely to the London Baptist Confession of 1644. I do not see this confession in any way as on a par with the bible, but it is a very concise easy to read well referenced explanation of what seven Baptist churches in the middle seventeenth century believed. I want to post portions of this confession and open them to discussion to any who would take issue, or even just want to affirm the tenets outlined.

Please know that even in this confession I reserve the right to clarify my position in respect to its closeness to the statements written 363 years ago. I hope you enjoy this string as I find these truths to be very encouraging and strengthening to me.


I will start with the introduction and item number 1.

London Baptist Confession of 1644
________________________________________
A CONFESSION OF FAITH of seven congregations or churches of Christ in London, which are commonly, but unjustly, called Anabaptists; published for the vindication of the truth and information of the ignorant; likewise for the taking off those aspersions which are frequently, both in pulpit and print, unjustly cast upon them. Printed in London, Anno 1646.

But this I confesse unto thee, that after the way which they call heresie so worship I the God of my Fathers, beleeving all things that are written in the Law and the Prophets, and have hope towards God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead both of the just and unjust. - Acts xxiv. 14, 15.

For we cannot but speak the things that we have seen and heard. - Acts iv. 20.

If I have spoken evill, bear witnesse of the evill; but if well, why smitest thou me? - John xviii. 23.

Blessed are yee when men revile you, and say all manner of evil against you falsly for my sake. Rejoice, etc. - Matth. v.11, 12. & xix. 29.


I.
That God as He is in Himself, cannot be comprehended of any but himself
(1) dwelling in that inaccessible light, that no eye can attain unto, whom never man saw, nor can see; that there is but
(2) one God, one Christ, one Spirit, one Faith, one Baptism;
(3) one rule of holiness and obedience for all Saints, at all times, in all places to be observed.

1) 1 Tim. 6:16
2) 1 Tim. 2:5; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Cor. 12: 4-6,13; John 14
3) 1 Tim. 6:3,13,14; Gal. 1:8-9; 2 Tim. 3:15

1 comment:

wadeburleson.org said...

Jeff,

Great blog!! We miss you in Enid. Keep up the great work in Colorado. I will be linking you to my blog roll.

Wade